Sony hack attack remains a mystery
The cyber attack on Hollywood movie studio Sony Pictures remained a mystery as North Korea on Sunday denied its involvement and lashed out at the United States for refusing a proposed joint investigation and imposing fresh sanctions.
The North Korea’s foreign ministry said Washington’s rejection of the proposal revealed its “guilty conscience”.
As per North Korea’s state run KCNA news agency, the ministry said the US was using the attack to isolate the North in the international community.
“The persistent and unilateral action taken by the White House to slap ‘sanctions’. patently proves that it is still not away from inveterate repugnancy and hostility toward the (North),” the ministry spokesman told the state-run KCNA news agency.
The spokesman also said the new sanctions would further push the North to strengthen its military-first policy known as Songgun.
Earlier, US President Barack Obama’s administration had tightened the noose and slapped sanctions against 10 individuals and three organizations of North Korea allegedly responsible for hacking attack on the Hollywood movie studio.
US investigators had claimed the North was behind the attack in November.
The North has been proposing a joint investigation, which US had ignored.
In November last year Sony Corp was hacked by cyber criminals and embarrassing mails, employee health records, salary records, etc. were made public.
The hackers had also mounted threats against Sony over the planned Christmas release of the comedy film “The Interview,” which depicts a fictional CIA plot to assassinate the North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-Un.
(With inputs from agencies)