Aus police conduct counter-terrorism raids across Sydney

Australian police late today searched several properties across Sydney, reportedly as part of a ongoing counter-terrorism investigation but not related to the deadly cafe siege earlier this week, officials said.

New South Wales police said the raids were unconnected to the 16-hour standoff at a Sydney cafe on Monday that left the lone gunman, self-styled Islamic cleric Man Haron Monis, and two hostages dead, but would not provide further details about the operation.

“The (Australian Federal Police) and New South Wales police can confirm that they are conducting search warrants today in Sydney as part of an ongoing operation,” a spokeswoman told AFP.

“As this activity remains ongoing and to ensure the safety and security of the operation and members involved, it is not appropriate to provide further details at this time.”

The spokeswoman could also not confirm local media reports that one of the homes raided had also been searched by police during large-scale counter-terrorism raids across the country in September.

Australia raised its terror threat level in September on growing concern about militants returning from fighting in Iraq and Syria.

On Monday, a 25-year-old man was arrested as part of ongoing investigations into plans for an attack on Australian soil, the federal police said.

A 22-year-old already facing a charge of preparing for a terrorist act was also charged with funding terrorism.

“Police will allege that men were key facilitators in the movement of funds that paid for Australians to travel to the Middle East to fight with the proscribed terrorist organisation, Islamic State,” federal police said in a statement Monday.

“Police allege the men made available to a terrorist organisation approximately USD 12,300 in funds in August this year.”

The 22-year-old will face a Sydney court Friday.

More than 70 Australians are currently fighting for Islamic militants in Iraq and Syria. At least 20 have died and there are growing concerns that increasing numbers of youths are being radicalised and could mount attacks at home.

Canberra recently passed a law criminalising travel to terror hotspots without good reason, fearful that nationals will pose a threat when they return. Those charged could face up to 10 years in jail.

DH

Advertisements

About lankapage

We are an online publication (Educational Purpose Blog) made up largely of what we call “disintermediated” news – that is news without a spin put on it by a journalist, published as it’s delivered to Lankapage. All copyrights belong to their respective owners. Images and text owned by other copyright holders are used here under the guidelines of the Fair Use provisions of United States Copyright Law. Images and text are used here only for the education purpose and are not intended to generate income for the blog, its employees, or its students. That makes us unique. All content is delivered to you as the writer or producer intended — leaving only you to make judgments about what you read or watch, not us.

Posted on December 18, 2014, in Sri Lanka. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Aus police conduct counter-terrorism raids across Sydney.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: