Daily Archives: December 14, 2014
New Delhi: A Sri Lankan national wanted in India for allegedly plotting terror strikes at American and Israeli consulates in the country has been deported by Malaysia to the island nation notwithstanding India’s plea for his extradition to unravel key aspects of the conspiracy.
Highly-placed sources here said that 47-year-old Mohammed Hussain Mohammed Sulaiman was recently sent back to Sri Lanka by Malaysian authorities without even executing a production warrant issued by a special court in India seeking his extradition.
Sulaiman was deported to Sri Lanka to face murder charges there with Malaysia ignoring repeated requests by India under various treaties, including Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty (MLAT) and even those submitted through Interpol.
A production warrant for Sulaiman was also issued and sent through the diplomatic channel for early execution so that the planning behind the botched terror plot could be unravelled.
However, the Attorney General’s office in Malaysia did not proceed with the Indian production warrant and instead suggested to its government that it deport Sulaiman to Sri Lanka where he is allegedly facing charges in a murder case.
India had argued to the Malaysian authorities that Sri Lanka did not immediately require Sulaiman’s custody and he could be a key to unravelling mysteries behind the botched terror plot wherein ISI-backed groups were planning to target the US consulate in Chennai and the Israeli consulate in Bangalore, the sources said.
This argument failed to cut any ice with the Malaysian authorities who decided to send Sulaiman back to his home country as he had been arrested in an immigration case only.
India had sought Sulaiman’s extradition after he was arrested by the Special Unit of Malaysian Police from the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur in May.
Sulaiman had allegedly conspired with Sakir Hussain, another Sri Lankan national, who was arrested in India in April and has since been sentenced to five years in jail for the conspiracy.
According to the plot, Sakir was to carry out recce of the two consulates while Sulaiman was to ferry two suicide attackers to India for carrying out strikes at the two places.
India has accused Sulaiman of hatching a “criminal conspiracy; acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention; possession of forged or counterfeit currency-notes or bank-notes; terrorist act and raising funds for terrorist acts”.
Sulaiman reportedly told investigators in Malaysia that he had been tasked with ferrying two terrorists from the Maldives to the south Indian coast to carry out strikes at the two consulates.
The plot was foiled by effective coordination by Intelligence Bureau (IB) with countries as Malaysia tipped the agency about the alleged conspiracy being hatched from Sri Lanka.
The probe was handed to NIA by Tamil Nadu police so that the conspiracy hatched overseas, including in Sri Lanka and Malaysia, could be unravelled, the sources said.
By Betsy Cameron, Data Analyst, Angie Newman, Consumer Content Manager and Peter Yang, Product Marketing Manager
Every day, people discuss the topics and stories that are important to them on Facebook. Today we’re taking a look back at the moments, places and people that moved us in 2014.
We analyzed the past year’s conversation on Facebook to reveal the most talked-about global topics:
Top Global Topics of 2014
1. World Cup 2. Ebola virus outbreak 3. Elections in Brazil 4. Robin Williams 5. Ice Bucket Challenge 6. Conflict in Gaza 7. Malaysia Airlines 8. Super Bowl 9. Michael Brown/Ferguson 10. Sochi Winter Olympics
To see details about each global topic and view other top 10 lists, visit yearinreview.fb.com.
United States Year in Review
In addition to our global data, we’ve also curated lists about activity specific to the US.
Most Talked-About Topics in the US
1. Ebola virus outbreak 2. Ice Bucket Challenge 3. Robin Williams 4. Super Bowl 5. Michael Brown/Ferguson 6. World Cup 7. Conflict in Gaza 8. US midterm elections 9. Malaysia Airlines 10. ISIS
Most Checked-Into Places in the US
1. Disney properties 2. Universal Studios Hollywood 3. Times Square 4. Yosemite National Park 5. Grand Canyon National Park 6. Yellowstone National Park 7. Yankee Stadium 8. Las Vegas Strip 9. Hollywood Walk of Fame 10. Madison Square Garden
Most Talked-About Athletes in the US
1. LeBron James 2. Derek Jeter 3. Floyd Mayweather Jr. 4. Lionel Messi 5. Peyton Manning 6. Carmelo Anthony 7. Tim Howard 8. Luis Suarez 9. Cristiano Ronaldo 10. Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Most Talked-About Entertainers in the US
1. Beyoncé 2. Pharrell Williams 3. Nicki Minaj 4. Taylor Swift 5. Jimmy Fallon 6. Iggy Azalea 7. Katy Perry 8. Pitbull 9. John Legend 10. Kim Kardashian
Most Talked-About TV Shows in the US
1. Game of Thrones 2. Orange is the New Black 3. The Walking Dead 4. The Big Bang Theory 5. Downton Abbey 6. American Horror Story 7. Sons of Anarchy 8. True Detective 9. How I Met Your Mother 10. Scandal
Most Talked-About Movies in the US
1. Frozen 2. Guardians of the Galaxy 3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4. Maleficent 5. The Lego Movie 6. The Fault in Our Stars 7. Transformers: Age of Extinction 8. Gone Girl 9. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay –Part 1 10. The Purge: Anarchy
Most Talked-About Songs in the US
1. Happy – Pharrell 2. All of Me – John Legend 3. Stay with Me – Sam Smith 4. Turn Down for What – DJ Snake & Lil Jon 5. Let It Go (from Frozen) – Idina Menzel 6. Drunk in Love – Beyoncé featuring JAY Z 7. Anaconda – Nicki Minaj 8. Shake It Off – Taylor Swift 9. Rude – Magic! 10. Fancy – Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX
Most Viewed Ice Bucket Challenge Videos in the US
1. George W. Bush
2. Will Smith
4. Mark Wahlberg
5. David Beckham
6. Lady Gaga
8. Bill Gates
9. Verne J Troyer
10. Prince Royce
Top Global Games of the Year
1. Cookie Jam 2. Bubble Witch 2 Saga 3. Candy Crush Soda Saga 4. Klondike 5. Kim Kardashian: Hollywood 6. Old Vegas Slots 7. League of Angels 8. Hero Defense 9. SuperCity 10. Sparta: War of Empires
Methodology Year in Review top 10 lists were measured by how frequently a topic was mentioned in Facebook posts made between January and December 2014. To put this list together, Facebook posts were analyzed in an aggregated, anonymized way, and then ranked to create a snapshot of the year on Facebook.